Home | Sitemap | Contact Us
Fort Yamhill Blockhouse stands in Courthouse Square as an outstanding memorial to General Joel Palmer. Built at the Grand Ronde Reservation, John Lewis instigated the bringing of the fort to Dayton. Permission was obtained from the federal government to move it to Dayton in 1911. Restoration was done by the Thomas brothers and Fred Reichstein.
It was dedicated August 13, 1912.
In the center of the square is a ornate fountain and bandstand. In 1962 the roof of the bandstand was destroyed during the Columbus Day Storm. The Bandstand was rebuilt with the generosity, gifts and donations of citizens in and around Dayton. It was
dedicated in 1989. The original Bandstand was built in the mid 1920's.
Other special interests include a World War II cannon. This cannon was given to the City of Dayton to replace the earlier World War I cannon which was given as scrap metal at the start of World War II.
An old fire bell is a replica of the earlier one that was used to warn of fires in early Dayton. The earlier one was also given as scrap metal.
This square was the scene of the Old Timers Picnic that was held annually on the last weekend of July. The first Old Timers Picnic in the Dayton City Park began in 1934. It was a day set aside for all Dayton residents to renew old friendships and make new ones. The picnic began as a town wide potluck with all participants contributing to one main table.
Throughout the years, the gathering had become a time of family reunitings, and class reunions. In 1980 the Old Timers Weekend was coined in order to celebrate 100 years of incorporation of the City of Dayton. Events such as a parade and a chicken barbecue high-lighted the Saturday and Sunday affair.
The City of Dayton will provide inclusive, responsive, efficient, and ethical municipal government services to facilitate the health, safety, and livability of our community.
Official Website of the City of Dayton, Oregon - Copyright © 2016. All rights reserved.